Thursday, June 14, 2012

49ers coach is polarizing! Like, Love, or Hate?

Jim Harbaugh is tough.  I mean tough in every use of the word.  He comes from a tough working class family.  He was a tough gritty player who worked himself and his team out of some very tough game time situations and late comebacks. He was a tough coach at Stanford who took a team  that was rarely mentioned along the likes of USC or Oregon and turned them into one of the toughest teams with top tier NFL prospects.  He even for a few moments had me wishing the Seahawks would have waited a year to go college hunting for a coach. With his remarkable resume in his back pocket many of us might have forecasted his toughest challenge to be turning around his 49ers.  How does one turn around a team that has been lost for years... might I even say a decade?

Did he already answer this question in one year?  I think many fans out there would say he certainly did but that is too easy and as I pointed out before, Jim Harbaugh is tough in every use of the word.  I mean he makes millions and still sits in the blue collar section of the airplane.  (This still impresses me.  Thank you Mike Sando for that article a few months back on ESPN, you made a Seahawk fan feel jealous of the 49ers coaching staff for a second.)  Okay, back on track.  I'm willing to say its way to easy to say coach Harbaugh has turned the 49ers team around.  After an unpredictable 13-3 record and a trip to the NFC Championship game how could I argue he hasn't proven anything yet?  The Bay Area wants to think coach Harbaugh has brought the 49ers back but I say, No!  As great as he has been, shall I dare say this was a fluke!  Yes, I said it and it feels good!  My argument:
1. The 49ers suffered nearly the lowest number of injuries of any NFL team last year yet they play very physical football.  I expect those injuries to balance out this year.
2. The NFL wasn't prepared for a 49er team that knew how to win.  Teams didn't take them as seriously as needed until the 2nd half of the season because they had no reason to think they would be anything more than what they had been for a decade.
3. I feel rookie coaches have had a lot of relative success recently because game planning is always harder when you lack game tape and prior experience.  The NFL will be ready from the beginning this year.
4. There were no expectations other than finishing anywhere but last.  This year there is pressure and a lot of that is brought on by the arrogance of the coach and the players.  Davis comes to my mind first.
5. Just look a the second half of the season.  There was a significant difference in the end score. Many of those games the 49ers still won but this year things will be different.

Will Harbaugh's team be as tough as he is?  I don't think so.  I think the 49ers of old will surface within the first month of the season.  I see a bad start creating a quick problem with Davis, Crabtree and even Harbaugh himself.  He is too fiery to keep calm when he is winning. What is he and his team going to be like when the Seahawks and Cardinals come in and punch them in the proverbial mouth?

Check out this article by Mike Sando. I think he asked some great questions.  There are a lot of reasons to like Harbaugh but he makes it just as easy to dislike.  Why not just sit back and enjoy your season?  All his talking is hurting him.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/67679/character-assassination-in-diabolical-world

2 comments:

  1. Love the site, Cody. I appreciate the amount of content you've got on here. What ever you do, just keep on posting. Good material will eventually get noticed and your audience will increase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacson. I am having a lot of fun right now. This is harder work than I could have expected though. Its always easy to write a quick 1 or 2 liner after reading someone else's work but to generate content on your own can be a lot more challenging. Stop by and leave a comment anytime. Thanks again for your advice.

      Delete

Please leave a comment about this post.